Monday, January 31, 2011

Busy Bees

On my last trip home to Columbus, Ohio over the holidays I finally had the chance to make a long-neglected visit to Beehive Bread Company in the historic village of Powell.

Opened in 2007, I don't know what took me so long to stop in, but I always made a mental note whenever driving by, as the bakery literally fills the neighborhood with the amazing smell of fresh-baked bread.  I'm glad I finally popped in because the bread is to die for. And for good reason.  Not only is it a family-run operation, but they also mill their own flour on site and focus only on necessary, natural, organic ingredients, leaving out things like preservatives and high fructose corn syrup.

Beehive has three standard loaves on offer daily: Honey Whole Wheat, Great White and Sourdough (except Monday) as well as a rotating menu of 12 speciality breads.  But, honestly, it doesn't matter which day you stop in because they are all incredible.  Luckily I got my hands on a loaf of the Caramel Apple (above) and you can see that it is chock full of apple chunks and gooey caramel pockets.  And, let me tell you, that caramelized crust on top puts those Panera Cinnamon Crunch bagels to shame. Just sayin'. 

Not sure which to pick? Beehive Bread Co. also offers a generous selection of free samples.  When I asked if the ones on offer were the selections of the day, the bubbly sales girl was quick to tell me that it was only a sample, and that there were plenty more in the back if I'd like to try them.  Not in the mood for bread? Beehive also has several sweet choices including cookies and sweet breads.  This is not a camera trick...those brownies really are as big as your hand.

Beehive Bread Company is a shining example of the type of localized businesses that can offer an excellent product because they focus on quality, not quantity, and as a result become true assets to their communities.  If only there were more like them in Columbus, DC, and beyond.

If you go
Beehive Bread Company
50 S. Liberty St.
Suite 166
Powell, OH 43065

No comments:

Post a Comment