Monday, October 26, 2009

Gimme More (Chi-town Cupcakes, Pt. II)

Ok, I'll admit it. I was jealous. After reading Tanya's guest post about all the fabulous cupcakes she got to try during her stay in Chicago, I knew there had to be more that I could sample during my own trip to the windy city last weekend. And after some quick research I certainly found more--More Cupcakery, in Chicago's posh Gold Coast neighborhood. A tiny shop nestled in between stately buildings near the famous Magnificent Mile, this cupcakery is the perfect stop after a full day of (window) shopping at places like Tiffany's, Nordstrom's, Gucci and Louis Vuitton. Or, in my case, the Hershey store.

I have to admit, though, this is the cupcake review that almost wasn't. From the time I landed at Chicago's O'Hare airport it rained. When I woke up the next morning it rained. On the third morning when I trekked out to the suburbs hoping to dodge the rain...it rained. But, finally, the clouds parted Saturday afternoon and it was gloriously sunny. Immediately I dashed out of the hotel, thrilled to be able to take my time finding More without landing ankle-deep in puddles and being poked in the eye by other tourists with umbrellas.

And yet, you will notice not only is the photo of More decidedly NOT sun-drenched, but it is in fact nighttime. I was a little...misdirected. Ok, so I walked in completely the wrong direction. BUT I got to the shop just before closing and still had plenty of designer cakes to choose from. I got seasonal selections pumpkin and apple spice, as well as classic red velvet, and wildcard s'more. The first thing I noticed about More's cupcakes was their height: baked in stiff, brown paper collars that form the cake up instead of out, these tall cakes have a very unique look that sets them apart, even if making it a little more difficult to take a bite. More's shop also has a unique look, displaying cupcakes in a clear, segmented case at eye level, as if they're floating in thin air.

As for flavor, I enjoyed parts of each cupcake individually but thought only the pumpkin was a stand-out winner. If you're a red velvet fan, while I thought the cake lacked much distinct taste, the tangy cream cheese frosting definitely made up for it. As for the apple spice, while getting bonus points for the tasty candied walnuts on top , it seemed as if a single spice overwhelmed the rest (ginger, maybe?). I was really prepared to love the s'mores but unless you get a bite with the tiny sprinkling of graham on top, it might otherwise be difficult to tell what kind of cupcake this was. However, this one earns back points for the most moist cake of the group, as well as the surprise marshmallow filling. Having read my previous posts I know you'll say I'm biased, but the pumpkin spice cupcake was my favorite of the group. The cake was soft and spongy, the combination of spices was well-balanced and the cream cheese frosting was the perfect combo. To top it all off, the cake is crowned with a small piece of pepita brittle, which was delicious even on its own.
Overall, I think More's definitely merits a visit after a long day of shopping, particularly for one of the most extensive and unique rotating daily menus I've seen. Cupcakes will set you back $3.50 each or $9.50 for a "flight" of 6 minis.

If you go
More
1 E. Delaware Place
Chicago, IL 60611
Tues-Fri 8am-8pm
Saturday 9am-8pm
Sunday 10am-6pm

2 comments:

  1. Ok, now I'm craving cupcakes. Must conduct Brussels research.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tanya I feel another guest post coming on... :)

    ReplyDelete