Thursday, January 22, 2009

Where have all the bake sales gone?

Next week I’m participating in what must be one of the oldest of those time honored traditions: the Bake Sale. After jumping at the chance to donate a baked good for this upcoming charity sale at work, I began to wonder when was the last time I’d even come into contact with a bake sale? And, no, Girl Scouts outside the supermarket don’t count. Short of church fellowship meetings and elementary school lobbies have bake sales gone the way of the lemonade stand? (And don’t even get me started on the extinction of the Cake Walk…) Anyways, as I eagerly plan what to provide for the sale I’m looking for any suggestions of bake sale favorites, as I’m guessing the charity planning committee will have more lemon bars than they know what to do with.

3 comments:

  1. I loved cake walks! And thought I was the only one who knew what they were anymore...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided on Double Chocolate Muffins. This recipe is modified from Nigella Lawson's Chocolate Chocolate-Chip Muffins. A couple of notes, the batter is very liquidy (or 'viscous' if you will) and I found the best approach was just to work quickly filling the cups. Also, some of the chips stuck to the wrappers, so you may want to try one of those fancy schmancy silicone pans if you have one.

    Ingredients

    * 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
    * 2 teaspoons baking powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    * 3 tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
    * 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
    * 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
    * 1 cup milk
    * 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    * 1 egg
    * 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    Directions

    Special equipment: Muffin tin with paper muffin cases

    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

    Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into a large bowl. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins. Spoon into the prepared muffin cases. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top and then bake for 14-20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would say, on average, I go to about 7 bake sales per month. No exaggeration.

    ReplyDelete