Monday, February 11, 2013

Twisted Sisters Cupcakes, Virginia Beach

On my last trip to Virginia Beach I happened upon Just Cupcakes by a happy accident, and after seeing Norfolk's Carolina Cupcakery featured on TLC's Cupcake Wars, it inspired me to seek out just what other cupcake hotspots I could find on my latest trip to the beach.

While I didn't make it to Carolina Cupcakery, I did happen upon The Sweet Shack--a cupcake haven run by Twisted Sisters Cupcakes. The brains behind Virginia Beach's Best Cupcake of 2011 and 2012, The Sweet Shack is the storefront location of the Sisters' popular cupcake truck.
The Sugar Shack

In addition to a varied selection of cupcakes, The Sweet Shack also offers lunch service and is a great place to stop off for a sandwich, but good luck trying to make it out of there without trying a cupcake...or two...or four (don't judge me).

Part of the adorable lobby where you can enjoy your cakes

As for the cakes themselves I was definitely impressed. That day's selection featured candy bar-inspired treats like Snickers and Heath Bar cupcakes, and I chose an Almond Joy cake along with a Tiramisu and the Pumpkin Spice and Caramel Apple seasonal flavors.

I have to admit that the Tiramisu wasn't my cup of tea, as it's possibly the only cupcake I've had to scrape frosting off of in order to finish. The texture was simply too butter-heavy for my taste. BUT that seems to have been just one off note, as the other three cupcakes were delicious. The Almond Joy had actual flakes of coconut in the frosting, and the Pumpkin Spice was to die for with a creamy spiced filling.


It's easy to see why these sisters were voted best in VA Beach, and you should definitely make a stop off next time you're in town to sample a few of the 70+ rotating flavors. Also be sure to follow them on Twitter to get the low down on all their cupcake truck stops!

If you go
The Sugar Shack
2408 Princess Anne Road
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
@TSCupcakes

No comments:

Post a Comment