Friday, June 3, 2011

Just Cupcakes

Because sometimes all you need is just a cupcake.

During a recent trip down to Virginia Beach from Washington, DC I hadn't really planned on trying to scope out any local cupcake shops.  Then again, I also hadn't really planned on getting caught in a massive thunderstorm which knocked out all power to the local area for about 12 hours.  By the time I got to my hotel, I'd survived at least a 10-mile stretch of road with no working traffic lights in which people had lost all sense of decorum and were driving as if the rapture had occurred and the zombies were, in fact, on their way. 

Needless to say, after spending the night in a hotel with no power, no hot water and no food (with nothing comped) I was feeling a little zombie-like myself.  Dirty, grumpy and hungry I trudged out of the hotel towards the parking garage and may have actually stopped in my tracks, so surprised was I to come face to face with a completely unexpected cupcake shop right across the street!


*Insert Angels Singing Here*
 Obviously this was a sign from the Cupcake Gods and I couldn't wait to stop in and sample a much-needed cupcake...or four.  Just Cupcakes has a rotating daily menu and I selected the Frankly Scarlett, Key Lime, Seriously Strawberry and Triple Chocolate.  In addition to an adorably hip, two-level shop and mini art gallery, the cupcakes were awesome! I loved the vast flavor selection, and all the cakes I sampled were moist, with consistently smooth buttercreams.  I particularly loved the Frankly Scarlett (red velvet) because it had the traditional cream cheese frosting but wasn't too tangy, and also actually tasted like chocolate, which is often missing in many reds.  Surprisingly I also really loved the Key Lime--even though I'm not usually a huge citrus fan, I found myself going back for bite after bite.

So next time you're in Virginia Beach--or next time you're in a crappy mood because you'd have been better off sleeping in your car than in your blacked out hotel--keep your chin up and there might be a Just Cupcakes, just where you need it.

If you go:
Just Cupcakes
261 Town Center Drive
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23462

Just Cupcakes
616 Hilltop West
Virginia Beach, Virginia 23451

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the mention and the visit! Come see us again, Carla/owner Just Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete