Monday, March 26, 2012

Mad Men Vintage Gelatine Mold

Yes, I am one of those people: a complete Mad Men fanatic. When I finally heard the news that Season 5 would be premiering after seventeen long months, I knew immediately that a 1960's themed dinner and viewing party would be in order. Actually, I knew that a Jell-o mold would be in order, and that a party would have to be thrown to accommodate it.

Being somewhat unfamiliar with popular foods from that era, my relatives were more than happy to reminisce and provide suggestions, "Cocktail weenies!" "Rumaki!" "Wedge salad!" "Tang!" Luckily, at Christmas my mother gifted me my grandmother's circa 1953 Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. So, not only did I have a Jell-o mold recipe, but I had a legitimately vintage recipe that Betty Draper could be proud of.



At first I was a little worried, flipping through the pages and not finding Jell-o recipes in any of the dessert categories. Then I found it. An entire cookbook section devoted to Gelatine Salads. Needless to say, while I don't think I will be trying the recipe for "Luncheon Salad" of jellied tomato soup anytime soon, this recipe for a basic fruit-filled Jell-o mold fit the bill. As with most mid-mod recipes, this one is quick and easy with few ingredients. I've included the original recipe below, but since advances in modern technology have brought us such wonders as Melon, Margarita and Blackberry Fusion Jell-o, feel free to mix it up a little bit.


Fruit Gelatine Mold
1 3-ounce package lemon-flavored gelatine
1 cup hot water
1 cup pineapple syrup and water
2 oranges, diced
1 cup pineapple, spoon-sized cubes
1 banana, sliced
1 apple, diced
1/2 cup broken California walnuts

Dissolve gelatine in hot water. add pineapple syrup; chill til partially set. Add fruits and nuts; chill until firm. Serve on crisp lettuce. Makes 6 servings.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! So wish I could have been at your Mad Men party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delicious and made the meal! (My meatloaf on the other hand, reaffirmed my previous thoughts - I sent Adam to work with "loaf-tovers" all week to get rid of it :)

    ReplyDelete