Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Vive La France!

As you may know today, July 14th, is the French national holiday. Typically referred to by Anglophones as "Bastille Day," in France the celebration is usually known as Fête Nationale or le quatorze juillet ("14 July"). Bastille Day commemorates the storming of the Bastille prison by the French people in 1789. Although the Bastille held only seven prisoners at the time of the rebellion, the symbolic fall of the power of Louis XVI was followed by the end of feudalism, the Declaration of the Rights of Man, the rolling of a few heads and, well, you know the rest. Bastille Day is one of my favorite holidays to celebrate for several reasons: I love France; I'm a firm believer that we could seriously use some more excuses to party between the 4th of July and Labor Day; and you can never have enough crêpes or champagne. This year I celebrated with just those two tasty treats. While I would have loved to entertain my friends with some homemade crêpes, I know by now that this is one speciality best left to the professionals. While I had intended to grace this blog with a picture of my gorgeous crêpe aux bananes et chocolat paired with a crisp glass of champagne à la vanille unfortunately, before I even realized, this was all that was left. It was that good. Bonne fête à tous!

No comments:

Post a Comment